Experience of a lifetime! (Charlie)

30/12 – This was d-day. I thought about a lot of things in the few hours before the flight. I thought about my friends, my house, my school, my family, the food, my country and it’s wonderful people, all the things I was going to leave behind. Namibia and its surroundings are my comfort zone. Here I can be me and I can live to my full potential. Realising this I knew that this tour was important for me at this moment in time because I will be making new ground and breaking out of my comfort zone. I will make sacrifices and learn the ways of other countries in God’s beautiful Creation. Now the excitement was too much to bear.

We boarded the plane and I kissed my country goodbye. Now it was time to broaden my horizons.

31/12 - Although the flight was a bit shabby the thought of landing in London made the cramps better. That day we gave it our all. Firstly we left the father of the house with the luggage while the rest of us went to Buckingham palace. Immediately London’s history hit me like a pan on the head. It was amazing to gaze at buildings older than many countries. This made me realise that many people admire works of excellence. That is why we should be Excellent in everything we do to fight for the Kingdom of God.

That night we were very tired and slept straight into the new year.

01/01-02/01 – These two days we went flat out at London again. We travelled the subway with great ease and enjoyment. On the first of Jan we went to Greenwich by boat on the Thames. Here we visited the royal naval academy, the National Maritime Museum and the Observatory at Greenwich were we stood in the western and eastern hemisphere at the same time. To be on the Greenwich Meridian was amazing. Now for the first time in my life my watch is exactly right… Then we rushed to the Queen’s theatre(stopping halfway for 30 min to buy a fridge magnet souvenir for my mother) because that night we saw a London musical, Les Miserables, the longest running, most widely shown musical of all time!! This was amazing!

On the second day of the year we got even more astonished by flying in the London Eye and by seeing the Big ben and Westminister Abbey from close by! We also treated my future engineer brother with a visit to the tower bridge and tower of London. To top the day off we went to a local market and tasted the most wonderful British and Irish Cheese…

03/01 – This day we almost missed our flight to Paris, bringing a bit of adrenalin in! We gave Paris our all visiting the Notre Damn and the Eifel. That night we caught a train to Gap entering a new phase of the tour.

I felt I had to give my own account of the first few days but now my mother stopped me to start with school! I will chat again.
Signing out from Switzerland.
Charlie (14/01/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment