How I kept myself busy – Italy (Dawie) 23 September 09



For the board of the African Leadership Institute ("ALI") , our family trust's trustees, my mentors, friends and for myself, I thought it would be useful if I try to summarize the 25 things that I have devoted most of my time to over the previous nine months:

  1. Travelling the world with my whole family: I have visited more than 30 major cities in 10 countries on 5 different continents.
  2. Planning the trip and keeping tight control over our tour and personal finances.
  3. Leading our capable teams back home and maintaining precious relationships (via Skype and more than 20 emails per day).
  4. Meeting with various influential world class leaders. (I also made special new friends.)
  5. Visiting various churches of different denominations and sizes.
  6. Being exposed to places of leadership interest, such as the museums of Martin Luther King and Abraham Lincoln.
  7. Reducing the cost of training material for ALI through sponsorships and discount on training books.
  8. Completing the English translation of the book, "Wie steel my geluk?".
  9. Acting on instructions of of our family trust's trustees of, amongst others, increasing our passive income.
  10. Advising and guiding Chrisna's book on "Forgiveness".
  11. Improving and extending our marriage seminar curriculum (workbook and follow-up seminar).
  12. Improving the curriculum of ALI (I revised existing sessions and developed new ones).
  13. Reading through the whole Bible (twice in 18 months).
  14. Reading nine carefully selected books.
  15. Resting well in body and spirit (we spoiled ourselves with two weeklong pleasure cruises).
  16. Keeping my physical body healthy and ready for a new season.
  17. Finalizing the monthly financial management accounts of 5 different entities.
  18. Completing the financial yearend procedures of more than 7 entities and preparing for their board meetings.
  19. Spending time with God (in walk, journaling and prayer).
  20. Investing plenty of quality time in my wife and three sons.
  21. Writing more than 20 blog posts and finalizing two newsletters.
  22. Selling (including negotiations and contracts) the TurnTheTide coffee shop on behalf of their board.
  23. Improving my own skills and capabilities by attending leadership seminars, computer and technology training.
  24. Reflecting on the previous 47 years of my life, dreaming and strategizing for the next season.
  25. "Wasting time" in the Lord's presense and with my family.

Psalm 16 (NLT)
1 A psalm of David. Keep me safe, O God, for I have come to you for refuge. 2 I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! All the good things I have are from you." 3 The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them! 4 Those who chase after other gods will be filled with sorrow. I will not take part in their sacrifices or even speak the names of their gods. 5 Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine. 6 The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance! 7 I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. 8 I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. 9 No wonder my heart is filled with joy, and my mouth shouts his praises! My body rests in safety. 10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your godly one to rot in the grave. 11 You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment